The Church and Rynek (Market Square) in Bledzew (Blesen), c.1925.
The bridge over the River Obra in Bledzew, near Skwierzyna, Lubuskie, Poland.
The history of Bledzew goes back as far as the 8th c., when a fortified town was created. In 1231-1239 Wladyslaw Odonic, prince of Wielkopolska gave 8500 ha of land in Sokola Dabrowa and near Zemsko to the Cictercians from Dobrylug in Luzyce. According to legend, seven monks chose the vicinity of present day Stary Dworek as a place to build an abbey. However, the place got flooded very often and the plans were changed for Zemsko. In 1321 the monks were given Bledzew and Popowo by Prince Waldemar.
The monks who came to Bledzew were Germans. They had a good relationship with the villagers, who learnt a lot from the monks and developed the village into the form and size of a town. King Kazimierz Jagiellonczyk gave municipial rights to Bledzew in 1458 and then the Cictercians moved the abbey there. Among Cictercian abbots there were outstanding Poles, like Sebastian Grabowski, a diplomat, poet, forerunner of barrocco poetry. According to documents from 1790, there were 80 cottages in the village, which housed 600 people. They worked as brewers, shoemakers, builders, bakers and millers.
In 1835 the Prussian goverment sold the abbey and the church for 5000 talars under the condition that the buildings would be demolished. Very precious and rare books from the abbot library disappeared. A few of them one can be found in the Kornik Library. Some objects from the abbey are still kept in the church in Bledzew, like the altar, bell, passion cross, a few pictures and sculptures. The administration reform in 1945 reduced Bledzew from a town to a village.
Bledzew is located on the road from Lubniewice to Skwierzyna. Its vicinity is very attractive thanks to a number of clean lakes, and the picturesque Obra and Zalew Bledzewski rivers. Bledzew is located on a canoe route which starts in Skwierzyna and extends through a large part of the Lubuskie Lake District. An interesting harvest festival takes place in the village during the first week of September each year.
1. A number of roadside shrines with saints
2. an unusual square with two streets from each corner
3. The lakes and carp and pike fisheries in the area.
4. St. Nepomucen's figure from the 18th century.
5. Late gothic church from the 15th c, rebuilt in the 19th century.
6. Mill from the 18th century.
8. Chapel from the 18th c. in Gorunsko
9. Classical inn from the 19th. c, in Osiecko
10. Cottages, church from 1714 in Templewo
11. Church from 1899 in Zemsko
12. The northern part of the Międzyrzecz Fortifications goes through the region
Polish Name: Bledzew
German Name: Blesen (East Brandenburg / Neumark)
Province : Lubuskie / Lebus
Nearest City: Gorzów Wlkp
Nearby Villages and Towns: Chycina, Glebokie, Glisno, Gorunsko, Kalsko, Keszyca, Lagow, Lubniewice, Miedzyrzecz, Nowa Wieś, Osiecko, Popowo, Rokitno, Rogi, Skwierzyna, Sokola Dabrowa, Templewo, Trzebiszewo, Wojciechowo, Zemsko
Comment on Bledzew.
Leave a comment and/or photograph of Bledzew, Poland.
Copyright © 2004 PolandPoland.com