Liebenow / Lubno
A pre-war picture postcard view of the manor house (Schloss) in what was then Liebenow, Brandenburg / Neumark, now Lubno, Lubuskie, Poland. The Neo-Gothic manor house was built between 1865-1875 by Julius von Bassewitz and is now, unfortunately, a ruin. The house has an interesting history in that in February 1932 Adolf Hitler stayed overnight while visiting the then owner of the house, Hans von Treichel, a local National Socialist politician and SS-SturmbannfŘhrer, and the nearby city of Landsberg an der Warthe (Gorzˇw). An interesting legend also exists, where the ghost of Celina, the widow of Hans Carl von Treichel, can be seen galloping on horseback around the village. She committed suicide a day after the death of her husband in 1937.
Another picture postcard featuring three different views (the schloss, Church and war monument, and main street) of Liebenow / Lubno, c.1920.
Part of a 1930s map showing Liebenow and the neighbouring villages of Ratzdorf, Gennin, Duehringshof and Dollensradung. Liebenow was until 1945 part of the Prussian province of East Brandenburg / Neumark, but, following decisions made at the Potsdam conference and the redrawing of the borders of Germany and Poland the whole area became part of Poland. The German population of Liebenow was expelled west of the Oder-Neisse line and the village renamed Lubno.
Polish Name: Lubno
German Name: Liebenow
Province : Lubuskie / Lebus
Nearest City: Gorzˇw Wlkp
Comment on Lubno / Liebenow:
Add your own comment and / or photograph of Lubno or Liebenow to this webpage.
Useful Polish Links:
Copyright ę 2004 PolandPoland com