A small sample of the images we have of Lwów in what was through most of its history inhabited in the large part by Poles. All are scans of picture postcards published when this part of historic Galicia was part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire.
Until the end of the Second World War Lwow was always a multi-ethnic city with many different nationalities living together quite happily. These included in addition to the dominant numbers of Poles, smaller numbers of Jews, Ukrainians, Armenians, Germans, Czechs, Russians and others.
However, as a result of decisions made at the Yalta Conference in February 1945 and the post-war resettlement of population and changes in national borders this brought about, Lwow became part of the Soviet Union and since 1991 has been part of Ukraine.
Other names and spellings for Lwow have included: Lviv, Lwiw, Lvov; Lemberg.
See also our original page featuring many more old images of Lwów.
Four random images from our picture archive of the city of Łódź in Poland. The pronounciation of the word Łódź might be a bit confusing for anyone speaker Polish as a foreign language. Instead of trying to say Lodz it sounds better to say something more like ‘lwooch’ with the oo pronounced as in the word ‘good’. You can listen to me speaking the the word Łódź here!
Related content on the Poland Poland website:
– Old images of Lodz.
A sample of the many images we have of Żagań in Lubuskie, western Poland. All were taken during the Communist period, which ended in 1989.
Zagan (former Sagan) was the location for the Prisoner of War camp established by Nazi Germany made famous by the 1960s movie The Great Escape starring Steve McQueen, Richard Attenborough and James Garner.
This morning we’ve scanned a selection of old images of Landsberg Warthe / Gorzow from our personal collection of images of all things Polish and Poland. All six of these photographs were taken between 1939 and 1945 when the city was part of Germany.
Gorzów is a city in the province of Lubuskie in western Poland.
Bledzew is a village in the province of Lubuskie in the west of Poland. Until the end of the Second World War it was part of Germany and called Blesen. Here are a couple of images from our collection showing how it looked at that time.
See also: More information on and photographs of Bledzew today.