The Jewish Cemetery, Skwierzyna
By the end of the 18th century Jews accounted for more than 30% of Skwierzyna's population, and the community one of the largest and most influential in the Poznan / Wielkopolskie region. Skwierzyna's Jewish population included a number of prominent people: Professor Gassel Simon ben Israel, Eliakim ha-Kohen Schwerin Goetz, David Mayer, and Jacob Cohn. Most of the Jewish community lived in the western part of the town where a synagogue and many other buildings were erected by the community.
Census records indicate that the Jewish population of Skwierzyna began to decrease at the end of the 19th century and by the 1936 only around 44 people registered themselves as Jewish on the census. The reasons for this decrease may be explained in part by migration to the larger nearby cities of Berlin and Poznan (Posen) where it would have been possible to live anonymously and where the economy was better. Others may have become assimilated into the wider German population or simply failed to register themselves as Jewish on the census forms. When Hitler took power in Germany, the remaining Jews were 'persuaded' to sell their properties at a low price to other residents of the town. As a result of this many Jews the town. Those that remained were killed in the holocaust. All that now remains in Skwierzyna to show that the town was once an important Jewish settlement is this sadly neglected Jewish cemetary.
Polish name: Skwierzyna
German name: Schwerin Warthe
Schwerin in old pictures (offsite link)
Province : Lubuskie
Nearest City: Gorzów Wlkp
Related page: Picture Postcards from Auschwitz
Comment on Jewish cemeteries in Poland:
Add your own comment and opinion about the Jewish cemetery in Skwierzyna to this page.
Useful Polish Links:
Copyright © 2004 PolandPoland.com