(German name: Schwerin an der Warthe) a small town (population 10,000) between Miedzyrzecz
and Gorzow Wlkp., is located at the confluence
of the river Obra and the River
Warta in Lubuskie, in the west of
always been of some importance due to its geographic location. The town
lies at the crossroads of two roads, from Jakuszyce to Swinoujscie
through Gorzów and the road from Poznań. And until recently the town was also an important railway junction, linking
Gorzow with Zbaszynek and Poznan. Unfortunately as with other parts of
Poland the service is now much reduced due to Polish rail cutbacks.
Skwierzyna is typical of towns in Lubuskie, in that
historically it was
strongly influenced by German culture and economy. Real settlement in
the town was established by the Cistercian Order from Paradyz and
Bledzew, and given town rights, based on German laws, by the Polish king
Przemyslaw II at the end of the 13th century. In
1406 King Jagiello brought it under Magdenburg law. The same Polish king
ordered that a trade route be created from Krakow to Szczecin in 1390-92 and
Skwierzyna benefited from this because a customs house was created there.
However, for much of Skwierzyna's history, Germans were the largest
group within the population of the town and held most of the power
within the city council. Other groups included the Jews,
a large number of people of Dutch descent, and a small number of Poles.
According to the 1925 census records only 0.4% of Skwierzyna's inhabitants
were Polish. The town, like most of the Lubuskie region, only really
became truely Polish when the war ended in 1945 and the German
population either fled from advancing Soviet troops or was removed. The
town and area was then resettled by Poles from all over Poland and
what had become Lithuania and Ukraine.
In the past the important crafts in Skwierzyna
were: timber, cloth making, brewing and cider production, glove and
shoemaking. The only large businesses in the town being: a furniture
production centre; a company producing meat paste; a small plant
processing wild meat such as boar and venison; and a factory producing cables for Volkswagen
cars. One interesting shop worthy of a visit is the large sports and
boat sales centre.
Visitors to Skwierzyna shouldn't leave without
paying a visit to the area to the north of the town,
which is covered
with the Notecka forest and to the west with the Sulęcin - Skwierzyna
Every year Skwierzyna holds a
week long cultural festival during June. Skwierzyna is also home
to one of only two cricket clubs in the whole of Poland, and has
thriving hunting and archery groups.
Places and things of interest to
visitors in Skwierzyna (Schwerin) :
- beavers' habitats on the River Obra and the
River Warta's old bed.
- St. Nickolas Church from the 15th century,
rebuilt in the 16th c.
- St. Saviours Church from the 19th c.
- Houses from the 19th c.
- Granary from the beginning of the 19th c.
- Eclectic townhall from 1841, featuring
elements of neo-Gothic and post-Classicist design.
- Statue of Wladyslaw Jagiello.
- War cemetery with graves of Soviet soldiers
- large Jewish cemetery
on a hill overlooking the town
- interesting brick-built water tower
around Skwierzyna is covered by large stretches of forest, full of
wildlife (deer, wild boar etc.), wild mushrooms and berries; and there
are many quiet and unspoilt farming villages in the locality.
See also: Old pictures of
Links: Skwierzyna Links,
Schwerin an der Warthe
Nearest City: Gorzów
Nearby Villages and Towns:
Chelmsko; Glebokie; Goraj;
Dwor; Paradyz; Popowo;
Rudnica, Sokola Dabrowa;
Local Attractions: castle,
museum, historic buildings, Notecka
fortifications and Nietoperek bat reserve,
safari zoo, Slonsk Bird Reserve, River
your own comment and opinion about Skwierzyna to this page.
Tours of Poland
Pictures of Poland
Copyright © 2004 PolandPoland.com